Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Thank You Letter to the Child I Used to Be

Dear Darla,

I hate your stinking guts! Haha I thought this would be an appropriate way to start my letter since Little Rascals was one of your favorite movies. I've been think about you a lot lately, which may seem weird since you don't know me yet. but, I wanted to say something to you. I went on a drive the other day. I don't mean the kind you take when your bored and don't have anything better to do. (You'll understand this a little later.) I mean the kind when you place your hand over your eyes and point in any direction and get as far away in the direction as you can. It's kind of like Hide and go Seek. It's quite funny, somehow I ended up parked in front of the place were we grew up. There was never a white picket fence. Just a cold, rusty chain link fence. We didn't care though. It was our place. It was a small apartment complex with white stucco and a grey door. Our apartment was the one on the far right corner. Right next to our favorite pine tree. It stood so mighty and nothing seemed to ever move it. We loved climbing that tree. We would climb it branch by branch until we got all the way to the top. Remember how you would stretch out your sticky resined hands up towards the sky? With the sun beating down on your youthful face? You would pretend you were in heaven and you could talk to angels. Man, that tree made us feel like we were on top of the world. Mom never liked us up there. She always said you would fall out and break every bone in your tiny little body. But what did she know? That tree was a place you always felt safe. Some say we had it rough. but, you were a strong little girl. Just Like our tree. I wanted to thank you for all the memories. They remind me of the person you always wanted me to be. I'm sorry I haven't been doing a great job at being that person, but in all honesty, I hope that when I grow up I will be just like you. Thanks for everything.

Love, 
             The older version of you 

1 comment:

  1. This is heartwarming.

    "They remind me of the person you always wanted me to be."

    ReplyDelete